A beloved concert film receives an eyepopping update; a new documentary chronicles Herb Alpert’s remarkable career; Seth MacFarlane chooses five favorite film soundtracks; Fandango at the Wall peers through the barriers that divide us; Glen Ballard expresses his love for jazz in the Netflix series The Eddy; requisite Charlie Haden, and more.
- Jazz musicians discuss their experiences in and at the movies and the cinematic influences that shaped their art.
- Seth MacFarlane explores the music of America’s Golden Age of Song.
- Kevin Whitehead explores Duke Ellington’s cinematic legacy, among others’, in Play the Way You Feel: The Essential Guide to Jazz Stories on Film.
- Using previously unheard audiotape interviews, documentarian James Erskine unspools a stunning narrative about Billie Holiday, as told by the people who knew her best.
- Reviews of albums by Ron Miles, Lafayette Gilchrist, Maria Schneider Orchestra, JD Allen, Joel Ross, Takuya Kuroda, Charles McPherson, Conrad Herwig, Chief Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah and Hermine Deurloo.